[lbo-talk] Avatar: The Exquisite Horror of The Strange Stranger

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Jan 8 16:06:48 PST 2010

At 06:50 PM 1/8/2010, shag carpet bomb wrote:
>The fantasy here is that it's the poor fuck up white guy who was, like the
>Native Americans in Dances With Wolves, actually oppressed: barred from
>perfect beautiful women because of their fuckup ways.

and I should have added: barred from the good jobs because of their fuck up ways, which is where the anti-capitalism lives in Apatow's work. It's just that, in Apatow's work, what is implied is that the guy gets the perfect girl. Getting the girl stands in for, is a sign of, economic success, such that his fuckedupness is simply what becomes rewarded in the market, as its rewarded in the dating/marriage market.

It is my unarticulated argument in my blog commentary on Observe and Report that Jody Hill is making fun of Apatow's work, much to Apatow and Rogin's delight -- in that self-ironic hipster way that was supposed to have died in 1999.

Similarly also mocking Apatow's work in Eastbound and Down, though with less vengeance and with a character who reveals that his public persona is a cover for the fact that he feels like a complete failure fuckup underneath. That revelation redeems Kenny so that part of you likes him, even though he does some unrelentingly crazy, divorced-from-reality shit. In Observe and Report, Jody Hill refuses to allow Ronnie to have any redemptive qualities at all. I wrote this:

"In this case, jackass guy never redeems himself. In a way, I thought Hill was satirizing that brand of film these days: where idiot guy redeems himself and become lovable guy who seems to maybe really understand women after all.

Ronnie is at war with sanctioned, official, violent masculinity ­ the cops ­ as a kind of leader of outlaw, violent masculinity that claims itself as _superior_ to the cops, capable of doing the real job which the cops can't do.

what's the real job? Violently eliminating Ronnie's Doppelganger ­ the flasher ­ and offering his wounded body to the cops -- like a cat leaves a dead bird at your doorstep. An offering to power, not an attempt to take power."

shag