[lbo-talk] Avatar: The Exquisite Horror of The Strange Stranger

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Fri Jan 8 20:47:26 PST 2010

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 05:30:03PM -0500, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> I don't blame Cameron: he simply took Fern Gully and Dances with
> Wolves, added a sparkling cup of cutting edge CGI and produced a
> global blockbuster. Cheers.

I thought Avatar was a remake of the Smurfs.

> But now others, seduced by high def and 3D (a 21st century malady in
> the making?) are greedily slurping from this thin stew of ideas.
> Mistaking pastiche (or perhaps, a thematic palimpsest) for a theory of
> life.

Others? Really? Most people I've talked to said "the CGI and 3D were rad and the story is well....meh..." I concurred after my first viewing.

We could pick the movie apart all day. I wonder how many hours were spent tweaking the look of the aliens so that the female seemed hot for male viewers, yet still alien?

But 3D floating embers and insects, oh my!

*insert bong gurgle here*

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim/google/MSN/yahoo: beyondzero123

The true method of knowledge is experiment.

-William Blake