[lbo-talk] Good point from National Review

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Jan 11 08:17:59 PST 2010

>> Unlike their auto, home, or apartment insurance — which
>> is their private property — 159 million Americans enjoy
>> employer-controlled group coverage ...

Eh?

I've had other kinds of insurance modified arbitrarily or dropped completely; there's nothing magic -- or desirable -- about those other kinds of insurances. Ask people in Florida about flood insurance; or people in California about earthquake insurance.

---

I did have kind of an interesting thing happen recently: Blue Cross (where I have my individual coverage) sent out a note changing their rule about cancellation for non-payment: if you get your policy dropped for non-payment, you typically could make good within (45?) days to get back on track. They changed the rule and said: if you lose your coverage because of non-payment, getting it back will require you to *re-apply* ... which opens you to new "existing condition" issues, and also is an opportunity to just plain old not underwrite you. It made me think that there's going to be some deadline for the you-must-ignore-existing-conditions law which will likely be coming up, and they wanted to get as many people re-applied as possible.

Incredibly scummy move, to be sure. But ... I got a letter the other day backpedaling; they said that too many people "found the new rule confusing" and so they aren't changing the rule just yet. If left open whether they would do it later, but I don't think I've ever seen a change-of-written-policy get un-done so quickly before.

+1 for the consumer, though in this case I think we're way behind ...

/jordan