[lbo-talk] individualism and psychological treatment

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 10:12:07 PST 2010

RE: I had the opposite experience, students claiming to have attention deficit disorder and therefore needing extra time on exams - in that they were supported by their parents. I would be sceptical...

[WS:] This seems consistent with what my wife, who is a special education resource teacher, tells me. However, the "parental instigation" seems to be mainly a middle class phenomenon, as parents attempt to manipulate the system to get preferential treatment for their kids. This preferential treatment may range from special acommodations at exams to sending thier kids to private schools on the taxpayer's dime.

With the low socio-economic status kids the story is somewhat different. Schools who want to improve thieir statistics to meet the No Child left Behind requirements often do so by dumping kids with behavioral problems or poor grades - and to do so, they claim that such kids have learning disabilities.

However, she also says that there are many children with genuine learning disablities who do not get services they need due to budget cuts and administration's insistence to follow the curriculum set for general education population. That is, everyone has to pass standardized test, special and general education students alike, and if they do not, school can be penalized under the No Child Left Behind Act.

Wojtek