[lbo-talk] Individualism and psychiatric treatment

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 11 12:52:13 PST 2010

Or maybe you have a case of street-wise, world-foolish, Doug. A country whose citizens believe in armageddon and is among the most heavily armed in the world is not what I would call optimistic. Look at what you are watching at the cinema: Avatar, The Road, The Book of Eli, Lovely Bones. Hollywood's output for the last fifteen years has been one disaster film or vile torture epic after another.

You make the point that everyone is reading Ayn Rand - I wouldn't call the Fountainhead optimistic, exactly, its central message is that most of the community are mindless sheep, and the heroic architect blows his own building up to spite the sheep. I see that the hardback bestseller is Dan Brown (conspiracy) and the paperback bestseller is Lovely Bones (have you read it? it is gruesome beyond belief). In the nonfiction there is the cynical Freakonomics.

This is the culture you call optimistic? To an arch-pessimist, I guess that would look optimistic.

As for individualistic, only in the sense that we saw in The Life of Brian: 'we are all individuals'.

'As I keep saying, if you're going to offer opinions on the USA, you should really spend some time here. Yes the official culture is unremittingly optimistic and individualistic. I don't know where you hear this pessimism.'