[lbo-talk] Individualism and psychiatric treatment

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 11 13:01:30 PST 2010

On Jan 11, 2010, at 3:52 PM, James Heartfield wrote:

> This is the culture you call optimistic? To an arch-pessimist, I
> guess that would look optimistic.
>
> As for individualistic, only in the sense that we saw in The Life of
> Brian: 'we are all individuals'.
>
> 'As I keep saying, if you're going to offer opinions on the USA, you
> should really spend some time here. Yes the official culture is
> unremittingly optimistic and individualistic. I don't know where you
> hear this pessimism.'

Strategic truncation. Here's what followed what you quote: "How officialdom behaves doesn't always comport with official culture, of course. And given the way Americans pop antidepressants, I'd say we're not as happy as we claim, or are supposed to be. But again, reality and official ideology are often not in harmony."