[lbo-talk] cell phone hell

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 11:52:29 PST 2010

I don't buy an iota of the parents love and/or protect each of a larger numbers of kids less than they love or protect each of smaller numbers argument... love's not a zero sum game - not that I could convince (now-praise-the-lord-no-longer) my step-mother of that...

Such a notion runs completely counter to my childhood and present experiences with large Catholic families of a wide variety of ethnic stock.

I'm not saying that you are taking a neo-Malthusian/natural scarcity position but your argument sounds just like the folks who try to take the K and R strategies abstracted from animal reproduction strategies and then apply them to human population models that "explain" why modern, industrial, capitalist democratic civilizations which practice Protestant and Victorian self-control have made "the demographic transition" and why backwards, self-provisioning, peasant-based authoritarian peasant cultures which are immoral and over-sexed (though they CAN keep a beat and jump high) keep on reproducing like rabbits - the latter groups values, planning and efficiencies are completely premodern and their population explosion threatens, by means of the tragedy of the commons, the supply of natural resources necessary for the advance of civilization. This argument was brutalized by Marx and dissected by David Harvey, in a great 1974 article, by Francis Moore Lappe and Joseph Collins in World Hunger: Ten Myths (and, later by Lappe and Rachel Schurmann in Taking Population Seriously, which stresses gender power analysis) and Michael Goldman in his own work and an edited volume, Privatizing Nature: Political Struggles for the Global Commons.) -- disclaimer, I went to grad school with Michael , TA'd for Joe (who I'd met, along with Lappe, during my time at The Friends of the Earth) and am friends with Rachel because she married Michael - at least in part because both had worked for Food First, under Lappe and Collins.)

For all their problems, the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts have had staggeringly positive results...