[lbo-talk] Thomas Geoghegen: Modern Filibusters are Unconstitutional

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Jan 13 17:32:14 PST 2010

[Nice article, and yet in my case led to even more despair about fixing it, because it made me actually go back and read the revised Rule 22, whose awfulness is much more fundamentally ingrained then I'd thought.]

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/11/opinion/11geoghegan.html

The New York Times

January 11, 2010

Op-Ed Contributor

Mr. Smith Rewrites the Constitution

By THOMAS GEOGHEGAN

Chicago

ABOUT the Senate, a college professor of mine used to say, "One day,

the Supreme Court will declare it unconstitutional." He was joking, I

think.

But the Senate, as it now operates, really has become unconstitutional:

as we saw during the recent health care debacle, a 60-vote majority is

required to overcome a filibuster and pass any contested bill. The

founders, though, were dead set against supermajorities as a general

rule, and the ever-present filibuster threat has made the Senate a more

extreme check on the popular will than they ever intended.

This change to the Constitution was not the result of, say, a formal

amendment, but a procedural rule adopted in 1975: a revision of Senate

Rule 22, which was the old cloture rule. Before 1975, it took

two-thirds of the Senate to end a filibuster, but it was the "Mr. Smith

Goes to Washington" filibuster: if senators wanted to stop a vote, they

had to bring in the cots and the coffee and read from Grandma's recipe

for chicken soup until, unshaven, they keeled over from their own

rhetorical exhaust.

For the record, nothing like Senate Rule 22 appears in the

Constitution, nor was there unlimited debate until Vice President Aaron

Burr presided over the Senate in the early 180os. In 1917, after a

century of chaos, the Senate put in the old Rule 22 to stop unlimited

filibusters. Because it was about stopping real, often distressing,

floor debate, one might have been able to defend that rule under

Article I, Section 5 of the Constitution, which says, "Each house may

determine the rule of its proceedings."

As revised in 1975, Senate Rule 22 seemed to be an improvement: it

required 60 senators, not 67, to stop floor debate. But there also came

a significant change in de facto Senate practice: to maintain a

filibuster, senators no longer had to keep talking. Nowadays, they

don't even have to start; they just say they will, and that's enough.

Senators need not be on the floor at all. They can be at home watching

Jimmy Stewart on cable. Senate Rule 22 now exists to cut off what are

ghost filibusters, disembodied debates.

As a result, the supermajority vote no longer deserves any protection

under Article I, Section 5 -- if it ever did at all. It is instead a

revision of Article I itself: not used to cut off debate, but to decide

in effect whether to enact a law. The filibuster votes, which once

occurred perhaps seven or eight times a whole Congressional session,

now happen more than 100 times a term. But this routine use of

supermajority voting is, at worst, unconstitutional and, at best, at

odds with the founders' intent.

Here's why. First, the Constitution explicitly requires supermajorities

only in a few special cases: ratifying treaties and constitutional

amendments, overriding presidential vetoes, expelling members and for

impeachments. With so many lawyers among them, the founders knew and

operated under the maxim "expressio unius est exclusio alterius" -- the

express mention of one thing excludes all others. But one need not

leave it at a maxim. In the Federalist Papers, every time Alexander

Hamilton or John Jay defends a particular supermajority rule, he does

so at length and with an obvious sense of guilt over his departure from

majority rule.

Second, Article I, Section 3, expressly says that the vice president as

the presiding officer of the Senate should cast the deciding vote when

senators are "equally divided." The procedural filibuster does an end

run around this constitutional requirement, which presumed that on the

truly contested bills there would be ties. With supermajority voting,

the Senate is never "equally divided" on the big, contested issues of

our day, so that it is a rogue senator, and not the vice president, who

casts the deciding vote.

The procedural filibuster effectively disenfranchises the vice

president, eliminating as it does one of the office's only two

constitutional functions. Yet the founders very consciously intended

for the vice president, as part of the checks and balances system, to

play this tie-breaking role -- that is why Federalist No. 68 so

specifically argued against a sitting member of the Senate being the

presiding officer in place of the vice president.

Third, Article I pointedly mandates at least one rule of proceeding,

namely, that a majority of senators (and House members, for that

matter) will constitute a quorum. Article I, Section 5 states in part

that "a majority of each shall constitute a majority to do business."

Of course, in requiring a simple majority for a quorum, the founders

were concerned about no-shows for a host of reasons -- not least of all

because the first legislators had to travel great distances by

stagecoach.

But the bigger reason for the rule was to keep a minority from walking

out and thereby blocking a majority vote. In Federalist No. 75,

Hamilton dismissed a supermajority rule for a quorum thus: "All

provisions which require more than a majority of any body to its

resolutions have a direct tendency to embarrass the operations of the

government and an indirect one to subject the sense of the majority to

that of the minority."

It would be illogical for the Constitution to preclude a supermajority

rule with respect to a quorum while allowing it on an ad hoc and more

convenient basis any time a minority wanted to block a vote. Yet that

is essentially what Senate Rule 22 achieves on any bill that used to

require a majority vote.

So on the health care bill, as on so many other things, we now have to

take what a minority of an inherently unrepresentative body will give

us. Forty-one senators from our 21 smallest states -- just over 10

percent of our population -- can block bills dealing not just with

health care but with global warming and hazards that threaten the whole

planet. Individual senators now use the filibuster, or the threat of

it, as a kind of personal veto, and that power seems to have warped

their behavior, encouraging grandstanding and worse.

What can be done about the procedural filibuster? There are several

promising lines of attack.

If the House passed a resolution condemning the use of the procedural

filibuster, it might begin to strip the supermajority of its spurious

legitimacy. It's the House that has been the great victim of the

filibuster, and at least with such a resolution that chamber could

express the grievance of the people as a whole against this usurpation

by a minority in the Senate.

The president of the Senate, the vice president himself, could issue an

opinion from the chair that the filibuster is unconstitutional. Our

first vice presidents, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, felt a serious

obligation to resolve the ties and tangles of an evenly divided Senate,

and they would not have shrunk from such a challenge.

We citizens could also demand that our parties stop financially

supporting senators who are committed to the filibuster, and we

ourselves could deprive them of fund-raising dollars.

And we needn't rule out the possibility of a Supreme Court case.

Surely, the court would not allow the Senate to ignore either the

obvious intent of the Constitution.

Whether any such approach works, the founders would have expected us to

do something about this unconstitutional filibuster. In Federalist No.

75, Hamilton denounced the use of supermajority rule in these prophetic

words: "The history of every political establishment in which this

principle has prevailed is a history of impotence, perplexity and

disorder." That is a suitable epitaph for what has happened to the

Senate.

Thomas Geoghegan, a lawyer, is the author of See You in Court: How the

Right Made America a Lawsuit Nation.