[lbo-talk] Lincoln Gordon, he dead

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jan 17 08:22:02 PST 2010

shag carpet bomb wrote:

> then, as now, what Jenny Brown called "corporate feminism" reigns so
> I'm
> not sure we've advanced any. Moreover, the banning and shaming has
> little
> to do with essentialism. It is a fixture of contemporary feminism_s_,
> regardless as the degree to which they promulgate essentialist notions
> of
> gender identity.

I want to exploe what "advance" means at the present time.

First of all, what is the concrete content of "feminist movement" at the present time? It seems, by your posts, that it consists of "professional feminists" debating each other.(I use "professional" in Lenin's actual sense in WITBD, not in the ordinary English sense of the woord. Lenin meant by professional revolutionaries people who, though working full time in regular jobs, in the time they did spend in political activity they took a professional attitude towards it. Hence the term isnot pejorative.) But that doesn't constitute a "movement" as we usually think of one. In other words, just as I claim that "The LEft" does not exist at present, so I would claim that the Women's Movment, the Black Movement, and so on do not exist at the present time. Professionals exist in all these areas -- that is, people who when (in their 'leisure time,' think about politics from the perspective of a future movement. So advance or failure to advance can only refer to conversationa mong professionals.

I'd just like your comments on this.

Oh, and since The Left does not exist, the Professionals I refer to are of course self-selected. But that has always been the case during "Interims." Unless a reasonable sprinkling of individuals do self-select themselves as professionals the Interims would go on for ever.

Carrol