[lbo-talk] Lincoln Gordon, he dead

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Jan 18 07:42:57 PST 2010

At 11:22 AM 1/17/2010, Carrol Cox wrote:

>shag carpet bomb wrote:
> >

> > then, as now, what Jenny Brown called "corporate feminism" reigns so
> > I'm
> > not sure we've advanced any. Moreover, the banning and shaming has
> > little
> > to do with essentialism. It is a fixture of contemporary feminism_s_,
> > regardless as the degree to which they promulgate essentialist notions
> > of
> > gender identity.
>
>I want to exploe what "advance" means at the present time.

cool.

>First of all, what is the concrete content of "feminist movement" at the
>present time?

in the context i used it i'd written about the history of feminist movement (tm). I placed the trademark after the phrase "feminist movement" because it was coined by bell hooks and means something particular. i also didn't want people to think it was merely a typo since the level of knowledge of feminisms on the list tends to hover around the level of pre-kindergarten qualifying exams.

hooks never talks about *the* feminist movement, but about feminist movement for a very particular reason.

>It seems, by your posts, that it consists of "professional
>feminists" debating each other.(I use "professional" in Lenin's actual
>sense in WITBD, not in the ordinary English sense of the woord. Lenin
>meant by professional revolutionaries people who, though working full
>time in regular jobs, in the time they did spend in political activity
>they took a professional attitude towards it. Hence the term isnot
>pejorative.)

not at all. it seems that you have your mind made up, so i'm not going to spend time explaining how they're not the professionals you describe.

shag