[lbo-talk] Clinton & the restoration of Aristide (1994)

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sun Jan 17 10:48:27 PST 2010

Apologists for Bill Clinton and for liberal interventionism generally are fond of citing the 1994 restoration of Aristide, at the point of US guns, as a shining example.

I was kinda distracted by various personal matters back in '93 and '94 and I didn't follow events very closely. Somehow I find it hard to believe that idealism and principle played much of a role in Bill Clinton's decision to do that. But a bit of rummaging around the Web hasn't turned up anything like a satisfactory explanation of these events.

Does anybody on this list have his or her own theory? Has anybody written anything illuminating on the subject?

(apologies for cross-posting)

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com