[lbo-talk] ciao, 60

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Wed Jan 20 18:50:25 PST 2010

On 10-01-20 05:46 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2010, at 6:46 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>> The thought that liberals cannot stand is that the actions of the DP &
>> its leadership really represent what the party fundmentally stands for.
>
> I prefer my formulation: the Dems are a party of capital that has to
> pretend for electoral reasons that it's not. So it makes "progressive"
> noises sometimes to excite the base, but when in power acts to please
> its funders.

[Which echoes a blast from the functionalist past]

"the State can only *function* as a capitalist state by appealing to symbols and sources of support that *conceal* its nature as a capitalist state; the existence of a capitalist state presupposes the systematic *denial* of its nature as a *capitalist* state [Claus Offe]