[lbo-talk] ciao, 60

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 21 04:57:02 PST 2010

In so far as capitalist relations seem to opeate successfully within such a wide variety of states, and that no state itself operates as a capitalist enterprise, is it not erroneeous even to speak of a "Capitalist State." Capitalism can't operate without a state, but it is utterly idifferent to what kind of a state. I don't have the citation to hand now, bvut I think I have previously cited an articlee (in abook edited by Albritton & Postone) which treats family, education and state as non-capitalist institutions which capitalism needs. The article argues that currently capitalism is damaging those institutions, but I don't remember the details of the argument.

U.S. political parties are odd creatures anyhow, having no membership, its formal apparatus having only a half-life between elections. And _parties_ don't have winning elections as their goal, _candidates_ do. And there obviously exist a variety of relationshps linking different candidates to each other. Even in mycasual attentin to daily news (reduced close to zero lately), I have continually come across references to this or that candidate not being supported by other candidates or "The Party" or both, and so forth. It is hard to ascribe _any_ intention to the party itself!

It is candidates more than The Party that serve the interests of capital -- or rather, the interests of the sectors of capital to which they are most closely attached. That is not necessarily the interest of capitalism as a systemm the very meaning of that last phrase being vague.

Oh well.

Carrol