[lbo-talk] ciao, 60

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 21 09:52:04 PST 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 12:15 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> I know we don't exactly see eye to eye on this (or at least didn't
> on July
> 20, 2007, when I last remember the topic being broached here), but
> I'm still
> not convinced that the Republican position on health care is of more
> use to
> capital as a whole than the Democratic one. Surely by this point, a
> number
> of our rulers outside the insurance industry have noticed what
> unregulated
> premiums did to Detroit?

The Rep position on h.c.: status quo plus more health savings accounts. The Dem position: require people to buy private insurance and offer subsidies to some of those who can't afford it. These are both capital-friendly, though in different ways. The more capital- hostile position - put the inscos out of business and socialize health insurance - is confined to the left wing of the DP, which is essentially powerless.

Auto and other old-line manufacturing businesses might be helped by single-payer, but do you see them agitating for it?

Doug