[lbo-talk] ciao, 60

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 10:34:07 PST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

The Dem position: require people to buy private insurance and offer
> subsidies to some of those who can't afford it.

I don't think progressive features like an employer mandate, price controls, and the public option are exactly marginal among either Democratic voters or politicians. To be sure, the overall package of which they're components is still capital-friendly.

> Auto and other old-line manufacturing businesses might be helped by
> single-payer, but do you see them agitating for it?

No, but if we're going to discuss that, we might as well tackle the reasons labor isn't either. In each case, I imagine feasibility has something to do with it (although to a different extent in each case).

However, I'm not convinced that's the only health care reform that would benefit industry, or capital as a whole. With so many businesses hemorrhaging money because of health benefits, decent price controls or other effective cost-containment measures alone might bring the bourgeoisie around.

But at any rate, you don't seem to be exactly disagreeing with me here. In fact, you haven't really stated your position on my question at all. Do you think that the Republican health care agenda is more aligned with broad corporate interests (not just the insurance industry) than the Democratic one?