[lbo-talk] How to make the Senate a majority rule institution inone day

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 05:15:30 PST 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2010, at 12:08 AM, Michael Pollak wrote:
>
>> Because for most of what they want to do they've got 52 votes in the
>> Senate. And that's probably the best they'll get.
>
> So why didn't they scrap the filibuster? Why don't they fight with the
> same ardor as Republicans? Why, in short, do they appear to be such
> pussies, even when they have 60 votes?

Why is this such a mystery? You're always saying the left in America is tiny and disorganized, and that the American public is deeply infected by Protestant morality and hyper-individualism. Then you're surprised the Democrats don't go around causing constitutional crises and institutional uprisings in pursuit of some social-democrat-type agenda? Please tell me: Who exactly would back them up?

I have to say that right now (whether I'm right or wrong to do it) I'm quietly enjoying seeing the Dems in Washington such disarray. I don't like their shitty health care bill and I didn't like their smug delusion that the world was going their way. But what I just don't understand is this desperate effort by liberals and leftists to pin all their problems on the Democrats -- to pretend that *they* are weak because the *Democrats* are pussies. _It's the other way around._

SA