[lbo-talk] How to make the Senate a majority rule institutioninone day

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 22 08:18:22 PST 2010

SA wrote:"But what I just don't understand is this desperate effort by liberals and leftists to pin all their problems on the Democrats -- to pretend that *they* are weak because the *Democrats* are pussies. _It's the other way around._"

Who does this? I've always argued that Democrats are _not_ "pussies" or sell-outs or stupid, but that their actions represent their core convictions, and that on the whole they stick to these convictions regardless of whether it costs them at election time. But I don't see what this has to do with the weakness of "the left" -- either as cause or result.

The DP does, of course, usually manage to absorb and blunt social movements, as George McGovern was one (though not the main) cause of the colapse of the anti-war movement in 1972. But that is secondary to the general strength (cultural, political, military, economic) of u.s. capital, of which its domination of the DP is just one element.

Carrol