[lbo-talk] How to make the Senate a majority rule institutioninone day

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 22 12:29:05 PST 2010

"shrill.polemic" wrote:

> I think that lack of partisan fervor has become apparent to a number
> of the democratic party faithful. This is anecdotal of course, but
> I've been pleasantly surprised to hear criticism of elected dems from
> people who typically would blindly support and apologize for the
> shitty policies of the Democratic party. These same folks defended
> Clinton for two full terms, while the disillusionment with Obama and
> the Democratic Congress seem quite pronounced today from many of the
> same people.
>
> Who knows what that might add up to.

My memory of the following is exceedingly vague except for the phrase I quote. I remember attending some sort of regional or state converence on civil-rights activity, probably in 1965, when my shift away from the DP had started but Marxism still was even a ghost of an option. At some point, I can't remember in response to what, I madde the suggestion that we should "attack our lukewarm friends." I think my assumption was that said friends felt no pressure from "us" (whoever I meant by us at that time), and that if we wanted serious support we had to provide that pressure. This may be what polemic is sensing from his DP friends, that sort of tentative move away from the DP. Or it may not.

Carrol