[lbo-talk] AFL-CIO's Massachusetts post-mortem

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 11:26:38 PST 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

On Jan 23, 2010, at 1:23 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> Who could like Gore at all? He's
>> surely the polar object of unlikableness. Take the most
>> likable person you know, reverse the signs of all the
>> relevant dimensional coefficients, and you've got Gore.

I've posted this here before. If you didn't click it then, watching it now will give you some idea how closely Martha Coakley resembles your description.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-january-18-2010/mass-backwards

> By most accounts, Gore is fairly likable in person. But so what? Why
> should likability matter? We're not drinking beer with them, we're giving
> them state power.

Spoken like a true economist! I think the implicit assumption that human beings are - or should be - rational machines breaks down even more quickly in political science.

Obviously Americans want their politicians to be likeable. Are there countries where this is not true? (That's not a rhetorical question, if anyone has an answer.)