[lbo-talk] AFL-CIO's Massachusetts post-mortem

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jan 23 11:47:52 PST 2010

On Jan 23, 2010, at 2:26 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

>> By most accounts, Gore is fairly likable in person. But so what? Why
>> should likability matter? We're not drinking beer with them, we're
>> giving
>> them state power.
>>

> Spoken like a true economist! I think the implicit assumption that
> human
> beings are - or should be - rational machines breaks down even more
> quickly
> in political science.

Hey, I'm the first to say that. I've long said that one of Nader's problems as a politician is that he makes Al Gore look like a cut-up. But, really, Scott Brown is a horror. (Had I been in Mass, I wouldn't have voted for Croaker either.) Likability in that context is a pretty minor consideration.

Doug