[lbo-talk] Did Chavez say it? was "This just in ..."

J Cullen jcullen at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 23 19:42:45 PST 2010

The original report (http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=116688&sectionid=351020704), from "PressTV.ir, which is an Iranian English-language news service based in Tehran, attributes it to Chavez:

Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez Wednesday accused the United States of causing the destruction in Haiti by testing a 'tectonic weapon' to induce the catastrophic earthquake that hit the country last week.

President Chavez said the US was "playing God" by testing devices capable of creating eco-type catastrophes, the Spanish newspaper ABC quoted him as saying. ...

Chavez said the killer earthquake followed a test of "weapon of earthquakes" just offshore from Haiti. He did not elaborate on the source of his claim.

I'm not familiar with that news service, nor its standards for attribution.