[lbo-talk] Did Chavez say it? was "This just in ..."

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 17:33:29 PST 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 8:53 PM, James Heartfield <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Just following this up, and the Fox News report says: ", the Venezuelan strongman's state mouthpiece ViVe TV shot out a press release saying ..." so, unless I am missing something, it was not Chavez himself who made the claim, but a spokesman for ViVe TV. Not that I am a big fan of Chavez, but if it was an official of the BBC who said it, we would not normally attribute it to Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

Apparently it was a chain letter that started making the rounds on pro-Chavez web sites and user´s forums (yes,there´s plenty of such things), and then someone at the TV station picked it up and published it on the station´s web site in its news section.

Logically, then news sites all over the world used the opportunity to lambast Chavez..

FC