[lbo-talk] Chavez on Haiti -> Russian RNV -> gov.ve web site -> abc.es -> World+dog

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 21:40:41 PST 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 12:42 AM, J Cullen <jcullen at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> The original report
> (http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=116688&sectionid=351020704), from
> "PressTV.ir, which is an Iranian English-language news service based in
> Tehran, attributes it to Chavez:

It´s a mess. Different sources telling different versions. Here's what I've been able to find ....

Most of the earliest news stories down here in Argentina point to an ABC.es news story as the source http://www.abc.es/20100119/internacional-/chavez-acusa-provocar-seismo-201001191332.html

(ABC is a rabid anti-Chavez news outlet) that says, and I quote from this story (my translation):

////////// "The anti-American government of Venzuela, in its usual paranoia against the US empire assures that the earthquake in Haiti es ´the clear result of a test by the US navy´ and highlights that ´an experimental quake by the US left the caribbean nation in ruins". ////////////

But who said it? Chavez himself? no... it continues "in a news story published in the (web site) of the state run TV station Vive TV, the government led by Hugo Chavez quotes a report ´prepared by the Russian Northern Fleet".. blah blh blah.

So... where was that story? here: http://www.vive.gob.ve/imprimir.php?id_not=15464

If you read it, you´ll see it says "RNV" at the top. RNV is the acronym used to identify news stories coming from the Russian Ria Novosti agency.

See http://pages.citebite.com/x2v1t0o5h4yot as an example.

So the likely chain of events was:

Ria Novosti (real or fake report) reaches someone who works at Vive TV, whom decides it's good news and uploads it to the Vive TV web site. Since Vive TV has a .gov.ve domain name, ABC.es sees the opportunity to do some Chavez lambasting and engages into creative writing to say that "the government led by Hugo Chavez" says this and that.

The rest of the Spanish speaking media picks up from the ABC.es news story, and at some point it gets translated into English.

What he DID say:

What Chavez did say and I saw it, is that the US seems to be more interested in doing a military occupation of Haiti rather than humanitarian relief.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60G2DW20100117

--- "I read that 3,000 soldiers are arriving, Marines armed as if they were going to war. There is not a shortage of guns there, my God. Doctors, medicine, fuel, field hospitals, that's what the United States should send," Chavez said on his weekly television show. "They are occupying Haiti undercover."

"On top of that, you don't see them in the streets. Are they picking up bodies? ... Are they looking for the injured? You don't see them. I haven't seen them. Where are they?" ---

FC