[lbo-talk] U. Mass prof lecture on the current economic slump....

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Jan 23 22:22:10 PST 2010

Much as I'd like to agree with you, the lecture you pointed us to leaves a great deal to be desired.

1) The wave of "consumption" he speaks of has been much touted, but Elizabeth Warren crunched the numbers, and it wasn't really there. What went up was housing, education, health care. Everything else was flat or declining. What capitalism is increasingly failing to deliver in the U.S. are the basic necessities of life.

2) The software entrepreneur metaphor for communism falls apart under even the mildest scrutiny. First, the entrepreneurs working in the garage are mostly the superbly educated kids of the professional class. They are workers who can affor to take a year or two off. Second, without venture capital the best ideas go nowhere. Third, the model simply does not fit anything that is related to manufacturing. There's an economy of scale that intrudes itself in other entrepreneurial activity ....I mean, can you see a dozen Detroit line workers taking two years off to create a new automotive technology?

3) It's hard to believe that the trends he described in wages, productivity, and profits were without blips. I can see someone arguing the our current situation is a blip rather than a game changer.

So, I found it rather thin....

Joanna