[lbo-talk] How to make the Senate a majority rule institutioninone day

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jan 24 06:14:40 PST 2010

No one, in e ither party,_wants_ a real health bill. And no one on this list has produced an iota of evidence that either party does. It is just assumed that the DP senators want, really want, a real health bill, and that the only thing between them and their heart's desire is a technicality which, unfortunately, all 51 of them are ignorant of. (Because if even one Senator, assuming real desire to pass the bill, knew the technicality, he could easily educate 50 more.

We are seriusly in never-never land in this thread. Wild and unprovable statements are being made abou the internal psychological motives of 51 people, none of whom any membeer of this list has a personal acquaintance with. And we have a century of evidence that Democrats will not bring about substantial social legislation without a gun being pointed at their heads in the form of disorder in the nation that threatens to grow unmanageable.

I find particularly bbaffling Michael's statement that "The main point is convincing people it's entirely possible." Just how are we to do that? And what would those people do with their knowledge of the possibility of a rules change? And as I said above, if 51 senators _really_ want a piece of legislation, and there exists a technique known to een ONE of them, then all 51 will know it in a day or two. Though I often disagree with him, Michael is one of the more level-headed persons on this list and I just can't understand what led him to this wild adventure. Perhaps he is competeing with Swift, and this should be entitled, "A Modest Proposal."

Carrol