[lbo-talk] Americans think StimPak was a waste

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Mon Jan 25 14:00:40 PST 2010

On Mon, January 25, 2010 12:16 pm, Doug Henwood forwarded:

> <http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2010/01/25/too-dumb-to-thrive/>
>
> Too Dumb to Thrive
> Posted by JOE KLEIN Monday, January 25, 2010 at 11:30 am
>
> It is very difficult to thrive
> in an increasingly competitive world if you're a nation of dodos.

Klein shouldn't impugn the humble dodo, a peaceful and perfectly respectable life-form exterminated by the savagery of early colonialism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodo).

But the world will do just fine without our Empire. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: the only reason to vote for Obama in 2008 was to ease the birth-pangs of the multipolar world. Here in 2010, we're close, very close, to the inflection point -- the moment when the semi-peripheries, the EU, and East Asia collectively generate enough internal demand to compensate for the US consumer bust.

-- DRR