[lbo-talk] corporate campaign spending limits, he dead

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 25 19:45:24 PST 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2010, at 9:56 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>> And there is no kind of fault in any kind
>> of personal consumption unless it involves breaking a seriou organized
>> boycott or picket line. I thought we had gotten rid of this sort of
>> arrant pompous nonsense after the first couple years of this list. The
>> left is about organized collective activity, not fussing about how
>> individuals spend or dont't spend their time or their money.
>
> I couldn't agree more. I always tell people when they ask about
> "ethical investment" that they should avoid the most odious shit and
> otherwise just hold their noses and do the right thing with the rest
> of their lives. The whole social investment thing is just a liberal
> salve to guilty consciences. Fuck it.
>
> Doug

But it isn't a liberal salve to just claim there is nothing wrong with investing invest your hard earned dollars right in their with the capitalists so you can even more closely tie your fate to theirs, right? That's just good old common sense. When everyone has a 401k then the Dow Jones will be even MORE important than it is today in defining how well the working class are doing. When you give money to GS to save for you, (not "invest" Carrol but "save") it couldn't possible effect your outlook, opinions, desires etc. My ancestors used to believe the same thing. They didn't care whether white people bought them or a ship or a plantation. Such worrying was all just so much hand wringing about personal consumption choices.

John Thornton