[lbo-talk] termitude

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Tue Jan 26 11:39:18 PST 2010

Also, it's quite possible that Obama will luck out and the economy will start picking up by 2012. In that case, he will most likely be re-elected, for four more years of more or less the same thing. Then the economy will go south again, and the repubs will return to the White House to bring us more unprecedented horrors.

Jim F.

---------- Original Message ---------- From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] termitude Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:18:29 -0600

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Obama: "The one thing I'm clear about is that I'd rather be a really
> good one-term president than a mediocre two-term president."
>
> But he's going to be a shitty one-term president, the way things are
> going. And he'll be succeeded by something truly horrible. I want to
> abandon ship.

No you don't -- there's no lifeboat available.

The policy is shitty, as I've just arguedn on pen-l, only if we look at it from the perspective of the general welfare. I think we shoul assume policy constraints (from the view of "responsible" polticians and theorists that make this a _necessary_ develpment of policy, and Obama really means his willingness to be a one-term president, that he has balanced re-election against the needs of capital*, and decided the latter is the priority.

True, he will be replaced by something more horrible (as Jimmy Carter was), but that too shall pass, and a DP Administration will return to power in 4 to12 years. That's how the system works.

Carrol

*I really don't know what the best word would be here; "Capital" stands for whatever would be the best label.

____________________________________________________________ Weight Loss Program Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here! http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=ix5-HRXsLYoawmoWxX3ZRQAAJ1DoEMrytxsVXKlEh0tvqeWlAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEUgAAAAA=