[lbo-talk] Enough With the China Shtick Already!

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 09:08:39 PST 2010

Thomas Seay wrote:

Ok, this counts as anecdotal, but I have choked on enough smoggy Beijing air and seen enough devastation of the Chinese country side to have formed my own opinion. That doesn't let US and the other Western nations off the hook, but I wonder why some people are so ready to defend a neo-liberal regime like China.

There's nothing progressive about China.

Oh, I knew this was a-coming.

It's not about "defense" amigo; at least not for me. It's about asking the people in my circle (my meat-space circle) to get off the eco-box about China and note the work we've yet to get done right here. Hell, my neighbor might be a cheat and a liar and and a bad dresser. There's nothing wrong with noting the hard facts but I shouldn't go on about it when there's internal work to do.

Some might recall how we rode a similarly built rhetorical carousel when the Boing Boing cohort were shouting about Tibet...while American JDAMs were falling on Fallujah

.d.