[lbo-talk] Sun´s former CEO Scott McNealy, capitalism fanboi

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 12:43:00 PST 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:

> I'm so glad to see the end of Sun. That was a horrible
> company, and it's quite fitting that it should be devoured
> by Oracle.

Without Sun Microsystems, OpenOffice.org wouldn´t exist, and Stardivision Gmbh would be another "me too" developer of a closed source, Office wannabe with a market share similar to the Opera browser, instead of being the de-facto standard for Linux systems.

Without Sun Microsystems opposing Microsoft Passport, all our site passwords would be hosted at Microsoft´s servers by now.

I use Java apps on a daily basis, on my phone (GMail Mobile, Google Maps for Mobile), Azureus / Vuze P2P on my desktop, Java image Editor for bitmaps, etc.

Yes, I hold Sun in very high regard, unlike IBM which turned itself in just a services firm without anything resembling a software strategy.

Oracle´s Ellison said he´ll keep the OpenOffice and Java push, so I´m happy with that. I don´t particularly care much about the Sparc CPUs or Solaris, but I understand there´s a corporate market for that...

But, don´t get me started... ;-) FC