[lbo-talk] Sun´s former CEO Scott McNealy, capitalism fanboi

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Jan 30 13:06:17 PST 2010

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:43:00 -0300 Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Without Sun Microsystems, OpenOffice.org wouldn´t exist, and
> Stardivision Gmbh would be another "me too" developer of a closed
> source, Office wannabe

Ah, the power of the subjunctive mood. But two can play at that game. If StarDivision hadn't been acquired by Sun -- and hadn't taken off on its own -- and and and -- something else would have come along.

> Without Sun Microsystems opposing Microsoft Passport, all our site
> passwords would be hosted at Microsoft´s servers by now.

When thieves fall out...

> I use Java apps on a daily basis, on my phone (GMail Mobile, Google
> Maps for Mobile), Azureus / Vuze P2P on my desktop, Java image Editor
> for bitmaps, etc.

All of which could have been implemented better and more quickly in Python or Ruby or, hell, C++. Java didn't make the apps possible; it just bought enough corporate mindshare to become the default implementation platform.

> Yes, I hold Sun in very high regard, unlike IBM which turned itself
> in just a services firm without anything resembling a software
> strategy.

Remind me: what exactly was Sun's "software strategy", apart from getting everybody to use their software?

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com