[lbo-talk] Enough With the China Shtick Already!

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 14:42:23 PST 2010

Although not dealing with climate change, Philip McMichael argues (both in MR and in Agriculture and Human Values) that the cause of the 2007-08 food crisis was the Chinese adopting western meat-centered diets and car culture. The corporate controlled globalized agriculture model, according to McMichael, could not keep up with this new demand. Never mind the fact that food stock-to-use ratios were not at unprecedented low levels and that the huge bubble in the commodity markets, once it popped, accounted for the vast majority of the rise in prices. Neo-Malthusianism disguised as lefty theory. Yuck!!

Brad