[lbo-talk] Enough With the China Shtick Already!

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 15:09:16 PST 2010

Brad, while I agree with the critique you make of Phil's work, I'm not sure I see the argument as neoMalthusian... I don't see natural scarcity limiting foodstocks, raising prices, causing hunger and subsequently generating ecological destruction and lifeboat ethics in his argument... I see, however flawed, an argument for institutional change in one locale generating institutional constraints in others, this is a model of socially-produced scarcity even if it doesn't take into account ratios, and other factors - like the rising price of oil, rising demand for corn for ethanol production and any number of brouhahas over GMO crops, perhaps most especially GMO corn and soy - it should.