[lbo-talk] Sun´s former CEO Scott McNealy, capitalism fanboi

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 15:14:38 PST 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:

> Fernando Cassia writes:
>
> Parasite is IBM, which profits from the Linux kernel
>> but hasn´t open sourced ANY of its crown jewels.
>>

> I don't get this. The whole point of Open Source is that everyone gets it,
> no questions asked. If you care what is going to get done with it, don't
> Open Source it. There's no requirement that users of Open Source have to
> Open Source their own stuff.

Put my words in context, Jordan. We were discussing whether Sun helped open source or not. O if corporations were necessary to the advancement of open source software. You mentioned the word "parasite". Hence my comment, IBM is much more of a parasite than Sun, which released plenty of code for the benefit of the open source community, making it a more viable platform, faster than it woudl have been without its contributions.

I forgot Virtualbox. Sun, under McNealy, bought German firm Innotek and released its Virtualbox virtualization solution as Free Software, finally giving a free, GPL option to the closed source alternatives (Microsoft´s VirtualPC and Vmware).

FC