[lbo-talk] Enough With the China Shtick Already!

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Jan 31 03:22:35 PST 2010

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 18:27:48 -0800 (PST) Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> writes:
> Doug, it's just a fact. Jewishness is conceived of ethnically in
> large parts (most) of the world, including Israel. Otherwise, the
> notion of "secular Jew" would make no sense. You may not like it,
> but that's the way it is.
>
> Hannah Arendt had a big argument with Karl Jaspers about this in the
> 1920s. He kept insisting that she was a German, which she believed
> to be horseshit: "Anyone can see that I am not."

In the 19th century most German Jews would have insisted that they were Germans of the "Mosaic persuasion" or some such words. It was mainly antisemites who insisted otherwise. The same was also true in France, where Sephardic Jews had acquired French citizenship under the ancien regime, and the Ashkenazic Jews acquired citizenship during the Revolution. In fact when the Convention voted to grant Ashkenazic Jews citizenship, it was with the precondition that the Jewish communities give up any claims to a separate status apart from the French nation. The Jewish communities accepted that precondition.

Jim F.