[lbo-talk] Enough With the China Shtick Already!

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Jan 31 03:44:35 PST 2010

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 18:27:48 -0800 (PST) Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> writes:
> Doug, it's just a fact. Jewishness is conceived of ethnically in
> large parts (most) of the world, including Israel. Otherwise, the
> notion of "secular Jew" would make no sense. You may not like it,
> but that's the way it is.
>
> Hannah Arendt had a big argument with Karl Jaspers about this in the
> 1920s. He kept insisting that she was a German, which she believed
> to be horseshit: "Anyone can see that I am not."

Arendt was a Zionist (albeit a Zionist who advocated a secular binational state). If one knows anything about the rise of Zionism, one would know that they specifically rejected the assimilationism that had been embraced by western European Jews in the 19th century, following Jewish emancipation.

Russia had a very different history from France or Germany since there was never any sort of "Jewish emancipation" under the czarist regime as such, so most Russian Jews never embraced the sort of assimilationism that became popular in western Europe.

Jim F. http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant