[lbo-talk] why Prince is right

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Jul 9 15:42:20 PDT 2010

At 06:08 PM 7/9/2010, Jordan Hayes wrote:
>shag writes:
>
>>[...] an unfortunate state of affairs that is *normalizing*
>>the notion that music, art, words, software, whatever
>>magically appear before you for your enjoyment, without any sense of how
>>it got there.
>[...]
>>fuck you, pay me.
>
>Ah, but isn't this state of affairs the exact opposite of that capitalism
>which tries to normalize the notion that things like "public" space,
>farmer's seed, broadcast media, and even individual words ("Yahoo!") are
>to be fuck-you-paid-for ...?

it was a one off line. the deeper meaning behind it is, after several years of having lefty assholes ask me to work for nearly nothing or nothing, i walked away pretty certain that there was ZERO good to be coming out of a situation where we can't even treat each other decently in the here and fucking now. after years of watching lefties brag about their housekeepers who work for $3/hr!!!! whee! my attitude toward all that crap coming from the mouths of lefties about "free" is that all that crap about "free" is no better than the feminist activist in my hometown who bragged about the $3/hr maid and how cool it was to have a clean house for so cheap.

>>When I talk about 'circuitous' I'm talking about the fetishization
>>of "free" such that people no longer understand how they pay for
>>something - like health care in currently existing societies that
>>have "free" health care.
>
>Or "free" lemonade, damn those kids!

*shrug* i tried really hard not to use rilly rilly big words. i'll do better next time. promisemeanit.