[lbo-talk] "Is Dominique Strauss-Kahn on the Left?"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jul 11 08:40:12 PDT 2010

On Jul 11, 2010, at 9:35 AM, SA wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> On Jul 11, 2010, at 6:42 AM, SA quoted:
>>

>>> we must inscribe the project of the left within the horizon of neoliberalism
>>>

>> Why do French people talk like this?
>>
>> How would DSK be all that different from Sarkozy? And how is neoliberalism - which views unions and a generous welfare state as rigidities to be dismantled - ever be part of the left?
>
> Part of the issue here concerns the identity of DSK specifically. I said he's "more or less openly neoliberal." And I made the arguable translation of Laurent's phrase "l'horizon du liberalisme" as "the horizon of neoliberalism." Now, I think it does make sense to use the word neoliberal with DSK - especially since he's now IMF director. But I may have given an an exaggerated impression of his politics, and neoliberalism may have certain national variations. In DSK's case, frontal opposition to unions and the welfare state are not a visible part of his political identity, although what he would do in power is a separate question (especially on pensions, I think). He was one of the main forces behind the 35-hour workweek, which seems pretty non-neoliberal to me. His main schtick is that France shouldn't fear globalization and the French left ought to "switch software" in favor of - and this is his keyword - "social democracy." If you listen to his speeches with an American ear, he sounds like a "responsible" Nation-type liberal/prog. He often talks about the Nordic model - high taxes/public services and flexible labor markets. So it's not quite as much of a stretch as it may seem. He and Robert Zoellick may be the twin guardians of global "neoliberalism" but they are miles and miles apart politically.
>
> After hearing that, does Laurent's line sound somewhat less preposterous?

It was the "inscribe ... within the horizon" phrasing. It's like hearing someone talk Cultural Studies on a TV talk show.

But if he were really some sort of social democrat, how could he even serve as head of the IMF? Surely he'd have to know that the institution and the forces shaping it are larger than he is.

Doug