[lbo-talk] "Is Dominique Strauss-Kahn on the Left?"

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 08:59:11 PDT 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

> It was the "inscribe ... within the horizon" phrasing. It's like hearing someone talk Cultural Studies on a TV talk show.

No! It's exactly the opposite!!! I've complained about this exact thing before on this list. In French, "inscribe...within the horizon," is just ordinarily good, educated speech. It only sounds like Cultural Studies to us because when French theorists originally got translated into English, such formulations were given literal translations, which the Cult Studs then picked up and incorporated into an extremely awkward and pretentious English. It's only in English that it sounds so pretentious - because it's awkward in *English* and we associate it with anglophone Cult Studs!

> But if he were really some sort of social democrat, how could he even serve as head of the IMF? Surely he'd have to know that the institution and the forces shaping it are larger than he is.

Because he has no principles.

SA