[lbo-talk] why Prince is right

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Jul 12 10:34:57 PDT 2010

At 12:50 PM 7/12/2010, Jordan Hayes wrote:
>shag says:
>
>>>There's nothing new about this.
>>I didn't say it was new.
>
>Ok, but:
>
>>[...] I think this new version of commodity fetishism would be
>>interesting for a contemporary marx to analyze.
>
>It's not new.

had i wrote, "this version of..." what do you have to say to the rest of what i wrote?

>>this exchange is obviously different.
>
>Maybe it just seems new to you?

it hasn't been analyzed from a marxist perspective. most marxists see a commodity as, among other things, something mediated by the "cash nexus." i find it inteesting that, because no price is assigned tot he exchange, they see it as something outside the capitalist economy.

yeah: i think it's interesting that two smart people can't see that they are, in fact, part of the capitalist economy. i'd like to see a marxist analyze this. something along Ritzer's analysis, only more explicitly marxist. Ritzer is more of a Weberian, with a strong does of conflict sociology.

shag