[lbo-talk] Cheating in China...

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 13:06:49 PDT 2010

I lay out the rules in my syllabus, if I catch you its a zero on the assignment. If I catch you twice, you fail. Anyone any good at cheating doesn't get caught, but that - generally - takes as much work (and sometimes generates as much learning) as doing it honestly. In the end, it's pretty much only the lousy, disrespectful cheaters I catch and its always direct cribbing from top 10 google links by folks who neither speak or write English at all well. The latest was a non-native student who cut and pasted material directly from a blog from last years class... hadn't even made the connection. When she said that she'd looked at the assignment and had nothing to say, I told her she'd have a better idea what to write if she came to class it might help... her answer: "But the syllabus doesn't give me any points for attendance so I don't."

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Michael Perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu