[lbo-talk] Cheating in China...

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 06:51:29 PDT 2010

Michael: "After our interviews, he mentioned that cheating is an integral part of Chinese culture and that the students expected him to be sympathetic of their behavior."

[WS:} Very interesting. My own experience was the opposite. I lived in China for two years during the Cultural Revolution, and we expected many bad things from the Chinese, but cheating and criminal behavior in general was not one of them. There were very few Europeans in Shanghai at that time, and those were far better off than the locals. Yet I have not heard of a single instance of assault, scam, or theft. In one instance, my mom purchased an item from a nearby store and forgot to take the change. It was a trivial amount to us - although not so to the locals - and my mom did not even notice. She learned about only when a store clerk rung our door bell and returned the change.

I short, the Communist China was generally considered remarkably crime free by every European I met during that time.

Wojtek