[lbo-talk] Why Marx is Right and Engels is Wrong (was: why Prince is Right)

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 12:19:39 PDT 2010

Julio Huato:

> Now, capitalist production is an essential element of a
> capitalist social formation, but it is not its totality.

The critique of political economy is not intended as an analysis of capitalist "totality". It is an analysis of the capitalist mode of production at its "ideal average", as Marx states in his introduction. To analyze the totality of capitalist societies, one would need to look at aspects such as race, gender relations, literature, music, architecture, and other phenomenon for which Marx's categories are not intended.

> Oh and let's make a deal: You stop addressing me with unearned
> familiarity and I'll seriously reconsider my current impression
> of you as a full-of-shit arrogant prick.

Sorry homey, but you're the one who's full of shit, since you prefer to ignore Marx in favor of your fantasy of what Marx *should* mean.

So here's the man himself again:

"On the other hand, however, our notion of productive labour becomes narrowed. Capitalist production is not merely the production of commodities, it is essentially the production of surplus-value. The labourer produces, not for himself, but for capital. It no longer suffices, therefore, that he should simply produce. He must produce surplus-value. That labourer alone is productive, who produces surplus-value for the capitalist, and thus works for the self-expansion of capital. If we may take an example from outside the sphere of production of material objects, a schoolmaster is a productive labourer when, in addition to belabouring the heads of his scholars, he works like a horse to enrich the school proprietor. That the latter has laid out his capital in a teaching factory, instead of in a sausage factory, does not alter the relation. Hence the notion of a productive labourer implies not merely a relation between work and useful effect, between labourer

and product of labour, but also a specific, social relation of production, a relation that has sprung up historically and stamps the labourer as the direct means of creating surplus-value. To be a productive labourer is, therefore, not a piece of luck, but a misfortune."

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/ch16.htm