[lbo-talk] Why Marx is Right and Engels is Wrong

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 07:45:30 PDT 2010

Angelus Novus wrote:

> Are you fucking kidding me? You called me an arrogant prick
> or something to that effect. Calling you a toolbox was mere
> retaliation.

Let's move on. The record is public.

> Martin Glaberman aptly criticized this sort of thing when the likes
> of Harry Cleaver start referring to Chiapas peasants or university
> students as "productive workers". The unspoken assumption is
> that social struggles are only supportable if they are demonstrably
> "proletarian", even if it means doing real damage to the specificity
> of Marx's terms.

Fortunately, those who join or abandon popular struggles because they fit or not some ideological preconception tend to be few and far between. Those folks tend to congregate in small propaganda clubs, call themselves parties, and have a marginal impact on the struggles. Not everything they do is terrible, but the fate of popular struggles is not determined by them.