[lbo-talk] Why Marx is Right and Engels is Wrong

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 02:35:05 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Julio Huato <juliohuato at gmail.com> wrote:

> Fortunately, those who join or abandon popular struggles because they
> fit or not some ideological preconception tend to be few and far
> between. Those folks tend to congregate in small propaganda clubs,
> call themselves parties, and have a marginal impact on the struggles.
> Not everything they do is terrible, but the fate of popular struggles
> is not determined by them.

Except in the Russian Revolution in 1917 which was led on all sides by parties with strong ideological preconceptions.

And the German Revolution of 1919 which was led by Luxembourg and Liebknecht, on one side, who were murdered by the ideologically driven Ebert and Noske on the other side.

And the Spanish Revolution which was led and betrayed and defeated by whole array of ideologically driven people who began the revolution "congregated in small propaganda clubs" and who emerged for good or bad leading masses of people.

And the organizers of several general strikes in the U.S. in the 1930s, many of which was led by people congregated in what you would call "small propaganda clubs."

Actually, I could go on and on.

I think it is thinking an historical fact that those people with "ideological preconceptions" in "small propaganda clubs" often end up leading or sparking huge social movements. This is sometimes very good and this is sometimes very bad.

Jerry