[lbo-talk] Why Marx is Right and Engels is Wrong

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Jul 15 12:43:52 PDT 2010

I think you guys have somewhat neturalized the term. In the U.S. "homeboy" is either a term of affection or it is an insult. "Knuth is my homeboy" is an example of affectionate use.

There are cultural diffs in the use of English, which has become the de-facto international language. The context and the speaker also determine whether the intent is positive or negative.

Clearly, no one thought you were using the term affectionately. This is partly because of your generally truculent and arrogant tone. I keep thinking you're 19 because anyone older than that understands that the world is made of varying shades of gray.

I think you have something to bring to these discussions, but I would appreciate a different tone.

You know what they say, "you can be right or you can be in a relationship." We do argue about right and wrong on this list, to clarify and to learn. But if we cannot build relationships, we cannot act together effectively or at all.

Joanna