[lbo-talk] Marxology

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 04:15:47 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Angelus Novus <fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is exactly what all value-form theorists say.  Marx's value theory is not a Ricardian labour theory of value.  I prefer the phrase "monetary theory of value" to describe Marx's innovation of the twofold nature of commodity producing labour.

Yes, I agree with you on this. I like Isaak Rubin, the godfather of value-form theory, quite a lot. Incidentally, he makes the point I made in the mammoth post I just sent about the impact of demand on necessary labour time, and his 'Essays on Marx's Theory of Value' even illustrates with Marshallian supply and demand curves.

http://www.marxistsfr.org/archive/rubin/value/ch17.htm

It's no accident Rubin was a great interpreter of Marx, because he really knew his history of economic thought, and therefore understood exactly what was novel in Marx and what was part of the classical background.

Mike Beggs