[lbo-talk] why are white southerners so violent?

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 11:56:20 PDT 2010

Isn't the obvious explanation that there are way, way too many intervening variables? First, and granted I haven't read the article, are we sure its scots-irish decended whites who're doing the killing? or is the argument purely cultural? if it's purely cultural is the assertion that somehow southern scots-irish white culture remained more immune to mediation by other factors than elsewhere? btw: where the hell is the south? aren't the majority of white west virginians and a boatload of rural Pennsylvanians (my dad's native community among 'em) scots-irish? Is there higher current murder rates among scots-irish descendants in New Zealand and Australia, or Boston? Higher than what? There's no intervening class variable or historical variability that might/could need to be explained? Is this white-on-white or white-on-everyone violence? Are we sure that the scots-irish who emigrated were herding peoples? Granted these are questions rather than explanations but I'm staggered folks are sympathetic to this. Cuilture of honor, fooey, who's dishonored southern whites the most? Are they the one's southern white's are killing - yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, there's a technical definition of culture of honor but surely that's part of the problem. Were all those violent inner city gang members from African, Central American or Asian herding peoples oh-so-variably long ago or are there different cultural reasons for violence in different regions for different peoples? A