[lbo-talk] why are white southerners so violent?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jul 17 12:19:07 PDT 2010

On Jul 17, 2010, at 2:44 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> No tradition is ever
> accepted or adopted unless it responds to some need in the present.

I don't buy that at all - though I guess this is another instance of your hostility to psychologizing. There are, for example, contradictions between the forces and relations of production in orthodox Marxism - institutional arrangements at odds with material reality. People do all kinds of things they've been taught that may be thoroughly inadequate to their circumstances. Or, as the man said, "The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living."

Doug