[lbo-talk] On filtering

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 13:44:54 PDT 2010

For as long as I remember, Carrol has only replied directly to my posts twice. Never in the last four years or so. He may comment on what I post, but only by reference to replies by others (see the recent one via Ted Winslow's reply). I believe this is supposed to signal that he dismisses my ideas so much that he's taken the trouble of configuring his email account to filter out my posts -- or that somehow he skips all my posts. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe this to be really the case. My conjecture is that it's just pretense -- which (if true) is funny and sad at once. I mean, obviously we all pick and choose the material we read from the lists on the basis of our tastes and interests. But I'd think that when we find someone's ideas thought-provoking or informative (even if we strongly disagree with them), we tend to follow her/his posts. Am I wrong?